Many thanks to our friend Pat Taylor, who shared these photos from way back when from before the Hill East Community Garden was formed.
Many more thanks to our founding members and neighbors involved in bringing the garden to fruition — we’ve come a long way, and we’ve got something valuable to keep.
(Speaking of which: we’re out here, right now this evening, socializing and weeding.)
*It would help if it were actually Friday, but oh well.
HECG Board Meeting April 11, 2016
- Stephanie is working to finish transferring over Treasurer duties to Erin.
- Joan, Erin and Stephanie will go to the bank next Thursday to transfer the account to allow us to sign.
- Lucie was reimbursed for the patio furniture. Joan needs paid back for signs—trying to do through Paypal.
- We are still working on change of garden address. We are checking to see if we need a physical address if we are ever to get a water hookup.
- Joan bought new signs that say “water me” and “harvest me.” Please feel free to grab from shed and use when needed. Red flags still need purchased.
- We also discussed a potential gardener wanted to barter instead of pay new gardener fees. We said no. We will continue looking at these on a case by case basis, but said no in this case.
- Erin will now continue to fill plots, we have four open.
- Nematodes order: will be late April after we mulch.
- Matt is going to add work days to the google calendar and Facebook. We will also send out emails. Please let us know if you think there are other good ways to keep gardeners in the loop.
- This coming work day SATURDAY will be led by the board. We will focus on: weeds in common areas and in-between plots. Clean shed, inventory tools.
Check water hoses.
- We will be asking gardeners to sign up to lead additional set work days. Please contact Katie firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. It is a great way to get your 4 work hours per plot. As a reminder, we are keeping a close eye on work hours this year and will hold gardeners hold gardeners to their commitments to performs 4 hours of tasks per year or ask them to leave the garden.
Next HECG Board Meeting Dates Set:
Every third Monday of the month in the garden at 7pm.
- May 16
- June 20
- July 18
- August 15
- September 19
- October 17
- November 21
- December 19
Updated 13 April 2016
Based on feedback from those gardeners who attended the March 5 Annual Meeting, we have scheduled workdays for the season. Check the Calendar page of the web site for dates and times. Mark your calendars and see you in the garden!
Lead a Work Day!
Help out the Board and Volunteer to lead a work day
With all the extra work days and advanced scheduling of them, we could use help making sure each date is covered with at least one person to explain goals to other gardeners (the board will help identify those goals as the season progresses). Fill out this form to indicate your interest in a leading a work day.
Helpful website from Fine Gardening, including information and a video on pruning indeterminate tomato plants.
Tomato Pruning Tips
If you are hoping to sow seeds early in the season, and start your garden truly from scratch, then I have put together a guide covering the many essential posts from the Garden Therapy Seed Starting Series. 41 more words
Mark your calendars from 2:00pm to 4:00pm on March 5 and join your fellow gardeners at the Capitol Hill Northeast Neighborhood Library at 330 7th St., NE. Meet your 2016 Board Members and learn what’s new for Hill East Community Garden in 2016.
Hill East Community Garden—Board Meeting January 11, 2016
- Nicole Shank-President no update
- Lucie Anan-Vice President NOT IN ATTENDANCE emailed notes
- Jennifer Shoemaker-Garden coordinator NOT IN ATTENDANCE
- Erin Harms-Membership renewal update (see below)
- Joan Gregory-Secretary no update
- Stephanie Spahlinger–Treasurer one bill paid (Go Daddy for website renewal)
–Annual meeting March 5
- At NE Capitol Hill Library (330 7th Street NE) 2-4pm March 5th
o Annual report from each officer
o State of the garden
- New rules on work hours
- Planned work days for 2016
o New officer slate (There is still time to throw your hat in the ring, please email any officer to get details!)
o Vote on new board members
o Speaker TBD
–Renewal application and status to send
- Erin is in the process of creating a new form for garden renewals. We will now accept PayPal to pay your 2016 fees!
- Renewals will be sent out within the next week and be due back by February 14.
- We have over 100 people on the wait list. It is imperative that renewals are sent in in a timely fashion. If not, you run the risk of losing your plot.
- On that note, all folks on the wait list now will be kept. Going forward we will have boundaries to make sure we are keeping our community garden within our community. New boundaries are being worked on and will be voted on at the next meeting.
Gardeners Brenda Dunlap and Matt Bradley were in attendance as prospective new board members.
Please contact any board member if you have an interest in being on the board.
Next Meeting February 17, 2016.
Renewal forms for the 2016 garden season have been sent. Please return by February 14 or notify email@example.com if you do not plan to renew.
HECG 2016 Membership Renewal Form