May Board Meeting Minutes

HECG Board Meeting Minutes May 2016

May 16, 2016, 7PM at HECG

In Attendance:

Matt Bradley, Web & IT Coordinator

Brenda Dunlap, Secretary

Erin Harns, Treasurer/Membership

Katie Lefeber Donahue, Garden Events Coordinator

Luke Manion, Vice President


Joan Gregory, President

Officer Reports:

President: Nothing to report

Vice President: Nothing to report

Secretary: Nothing to report


  • Banking has been transferred to Erin. Stephanie will be transferring Paypal and the

ledger to Erin. Insurance fee increased to $437.50 because Greenseed dropped off our

policy. The garden will explore taking over its own insurance.

  • Erin is receiving back statements, but online banking is not currently available. Erin will

call the bank to set that up. There are two debit cards. One will live with the treasurer and

the other with the garden president (Joan).

  • One plot next to patio is still vacant.

Garden Events Coordinator:

  • Katie has the sign-in sheets from 2 workdays but the 3rd work day was damp and there

was no sign-in sheet. She will log-in hours where she has complete info but some folks only

signed in (they didn’t include the amount of time they stayed). She’ll remind those who

worked to make sure their hours were logged in.

  • Katie will email gardeners future reminders about works days ~ 1 week in advance and

also 1 day in advance.

  • The Board agreed that gardeners should log their own work hours in the future. It

creates unnecessary work for the Board otherwise.

  • Katie will begin to contact gardeners to lead workday starting with gardeners who have

not logged any work hours yet.

  • Katie plans to coordinate a garden social for June and we discussed ideas. Per Erin, the

Homebrew Association wants to hold a social at HECG and invite gardeners. Erin and Katie

will contact them about setting it up. Katie will solicit other ideas from gardeners and also

contact Nicole who wanted to host a social at one point.

  • Erin will set up a date for a water training happy hour
  • Matt will lead 5/19/2016 Wine & Weeding event. The goal will be weeding vacant plot on the west side of the patio. Other priority is Bermuda grass on patio against the wood and the East perimeter area


  • Matt will send an email to gardeners with instructions on accessing HECG content in

HECG google group since he has finished setting it up. He will also start a google sheet of

Board members contact info.

Other Business:

  • Luke will purchase a fire dragon estimated at $40 to torch the patio weeds. He’ll email Erin the receipt for reimbursement. Because it might be unsafe to house it in the shed, he will store it for HECG.
  • Mrs. Gold’s request: could be link spamming or a teacher’s outreach. Everyone disliked that it’s affiliated with a corporation. Erin will add a shout-out on the home-page recent blog posts and respond to Mrs. Gold that we will not link the article.
  • Plot check: Luke will contact Gene Kim and Chris Forney and ask them to weed their plots. Kimberly Kennedy will decide by Friday 5/20/2016 if she’s going to continue her plot and will weed it if she stays.
  • Katie will call 311 for bulk pickup of discarded boards and broken chairs & umbrellas. We suggested putting the discarded tomato cages in the alley for the metal recycler. Matt will assist if Ryan needs assistance moving items in preparation for pickup.
  • Erin will purchase nematodes since it’s still cool enough.

NEXT MEETING: Monday June 20, 2016 at 7PM at HECG (all gardeners are welcome to attend)

Check out HECG online:

Like us on FB


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s